Wooden temples in the Snina district
Several traditional wooden temples are unique in the Snina district. Several of them were originally built as three-space and three-tower, the so-called of the Bojkov type and without a single nail. They are interesting not only for their architecture but also for their richly decorated interior. They are located in the villages of Jalová, Topoľa, Ruský Potok, Uličské Krivé, Šmigovec, Hrabová Roztoka and Kalná Roztoka. All these beautiful objects are connected by the Cycling Icon Trail and some by the hiking Icon trail, which leads from the village of Topoľa via Ruský Potok to Uličské Krivé.
at least a day in advance!
The church was built in 1744, which confirms the preserved dating on the bell, which is currently located in the village of Nechválova Polianka in the district of Humenné. The church is located on a slope in the middle of the village. The original church was rebuilt several times into today's simple log construction. According to the dating written next to the chandelier, we know that the most radical reconstruction took place in 1831, when it was probably plastered and whitewashed, so it belonged to the so-called "temples in a fur coat". It was restored in 2002. The two towers have bells from 1908 and 2001. The iconostasis dates from the 17th century, it is five-rowed and placed in the church. Its interesting fact is that it is the only complete iconostasis in Slovakia dating from the 17th century.
Contact: 0911 912 780 (o. Peter Demjanovič)
Greek Catholic wooden church of St. Archangel Michael - Topoľa
The church was built in 1780, although it has so far been assumed to date from the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries. On the original three-space and three-tower church, the tower was rebuilt in the 19th century to its present form with a hipped roof with two turrets. An interesting feature of the building is its central part, the so-called ship that has the shape of an overturned ship. Icons from the originally older church and a beautiful five-row Baroque iconostasis from the construction period have been preserved in the interior. Since 2012, there has been an exhibition on the history of the Greek Catholic Church and a prominent Ruthenian awakener and native of the village of Topoľa - to priest Alexander Duchnovič. The exhibition also includes religious items and books. An interesting feature in the temple is a replica of the so-called Ostrožnica's parchment fragments. It is the oldest Cyrillic written monument in Slovakia from the 11th to 12th century. The area includes a bell tower from the first half of the 20th century, a morgue which was used during the epidemics, and a war cemetery for soldiers killed in the First World War.
Contact: 0904 738 354, 057 7795 632 (o. Lukáš Kireš)
Orthodox wooden church of St. Archangel Michael - Rusky Potok
The construction of the original Greek Catholic church dates back to around 1740, but recent records say that it was built much earlier, in the 17th century. It is probably the oldest wooden temple in the Snina district. Its antiquity is also confirmed by the altar stone, which is located under the wooden altar. On the originally three-space and three-tower church, the tower was rebuilt in the 19th century to its present form with a hipped roof and two turrets. As the only church in the Snina district, it is owned by the Orthodox Church. The iconostasis probably dates from the 18th century and was bought from another temple. There is also a wooden bell tower in the area, which was built there in the 50s of the last century.
Contact: 0907 974 713 (o. Igor Kerekanič)
Greek Catholic wooden church of St. Archangel Michael - Uličské Krivé
The church was built in 1780, although it was still assumed that it was built in 1718. In the 19th and three-tower church, the tower was rebuilt in the 19th century to its present form with a hipped roof and two turrets. In the main one there is a bell from 1811. In the interior, there are preserved icons from the 15th to the 16th century from the original older church, which stood near the current one. The beautiful five-row baroque iconostasis comes from the period of construction of the building.
Contact: 0904 154 409 (Ján Kelemeca)
Greek Catholic wooden church of the Ascension of the Lord -Šmigovec
The church was built between 1776 and 1780, although it was still assumed that it was in 1755. Originally three-space and three-tower church was rebuilt in the 19th century. The last radical reconstruction, in which the building acquired its present appearance, took place in 1896 when the roof was converted into a hip roof with two turrets. The temple was clad with slabs on the outside and plastered on the inside with clay plaster. In the years 2015 to 2016, it was completely renovated. The original iconostasis from the 18th century was damaged by fire at the beginning of the 20th century and in 1915 it was repaired by a local teacher with Naïve art paintings. It is currently in deposit at a pilgrimage site in the village of Ľutina in the Sabinov district. An iconographic exhibition of Byzantine-type icons from the 15th and 16th centuries, which come from the Snina region, is installed in the church for visitors.
Contact: 0911 812 175, 057 769 30 87 (o. Vladislav Marčák)
Greek Catholic wooden church of St. Basil the Great - Hrabová Roztoka
The church was built in the 18th century. On the original three-space and three-tower building, the tower was rebuilt in the 19th century to its present form with a hipped roof and two turrets. The temple was clad with slabs on the outside and inside. An interesting feature of the temple is the elevation of the floor, which is more than one meter between the front door and the altar. The oldest bell in the tower dates from 1796. In the attic, there is a rocker mechanism for the chandelier and also a ladder, which they made from one piece of wood. The iconostasis is composed mainly of icons dating from the 17th and 18th centuries. The imperial door from 1794 deserves special attention. On the table is the icon of the Crucifixion from the 18th century in a deep, richly carved frame. The icon is the work of a folk master - an iconographer. At present, an exhibition on liturgical books in the Snina region is installed in the church.
Greek Catholic wooden church of St. John the Baptist - Kalná Roztoka
The church was built in the 18th century. On the original three-space and three-tower church, the tower was rebuilt in the 19th century to its present form with a hipped roof and two turrets. The temple was plastered on the outside and inside with clay plaster. It is therefore called "the temple in the fur coat". The five-row iconostasis is composed of icons dating from the 17th to 19th centuries. An all-wooden imperial door hanging on the wall from the original older temple. Inside the temple, there is also a small exhibition of religious objects. The complex also includes a wooden bell tower on a low stone foundation from the 20th century with three bells, the oldest dating from 1908.
Contact: 0910 788 010 (o. Tomáš Leško)
Expert guarantor of texts: Ing. Miroslav Buraľ, Karpaty's wooden church, n.o. (www.karpatskecerkvi.org).
Download the leaflet: